Monday, August 7, 2017

2017-2018 Curriculum Choices - 4th, 7th, 10th grade

Have I mentioned that I am so excited to be homeschooling again after our break last year???

We've been focusing on a more simple, frugal mindset with a lot of things in life and we've tried to continue this thinking even into our school year. This year, we will be doing a 6 weeks on, 1 week off rotation. We will continue our mostly 4 day school week- keeping the 5th day open for catch-up or the basics.

The Boy... 4th Grade

 Math: We love Christian Light Publications! There are 10 LifeUnits per grade and it is very encouraging when you finish one! Less daunting than a big math book.

Language Arts/Reading: I was gifted the teacher's books for Abeka's L.A. and Reading so we will be using that during the time I work individually with him. I'm thankful that this is one way I can keep the cost of schooling down, even if it means a little extra work for me.We will just follow the guide and write what we need in a notebook. In addition to the Abeka Readers, he will be encouraged to continue reading outside of time with mom.

Bible: Oh how I love our Bible time together. When the kids were little, it was a challenge, but now that they're older it's way better! We will be going through each book of the Bible to begin with. The first 6 weeks of school we will cover Genesis thru 2nd Samuel. We'll wrap each week up with the What's in the Bible DVD. We will also check out some of YouTube's The Bible Project! Pinterest has been great in helping me keep things interesting as we pick out different chapters to look through each day! *We ALL will be doing this TOGETHER*

History/Science: Again, I was gifted with the teacher's guides which have the actual texts in them. I'm hoping to get Daddy involved and letting him read these with Isaiah. Two days a week will be History, two days a week will be Science.

P.E. My kids sometimes like being lazy. TOO lazy, so yep, P.E. is written in the actual lesson. I'll be happy if they go outside- so nothing is organized! Just get up and MOVE!!!

Spelling: Again, in effort to keep costs down, I found this free spelling program online. He will be doing 3rd grade as this was one area he wasn't able get completely up to grade level in! I really like the fact that there are several games or activities on the website. It makes my planning SO much easier when he knows to just go to whatever week and work there!

Computer: Typing Club, Dance Mat, and  Coding with Scratch are some of the free programs we will be using. There are so many great resources out there for typing and coding, and just general computer usage. 

Handwriting: Have I mentioned how thankful I am for the books that I was gifted? The student book for 4th grade handwriting was gifted and it was PRACTICALLY new! I think only the first 10 or so pages were used! So he'll be able to practice his handwriting with that. Yes, since it's Abeka, it's in cursive. 

Chemistry: Older sister, Aspen, requested specifically to learn about chemistry, so that's what we're going to do. We will include Faith in our lessons, too. We'll do something chemistry related about twice a week. Pinterest has a TON of cool projects (one week, we are doing root beer floats!), but I'm combining lessons from Easy Peasy, Science Year 4 and Middle School Chemistry!

4H: Robotics, Foodology

4th Grade Cost: About $55- includes the full math curriculum and a few notebooks. Everything else was either gifted or free. Whoop! Whoop!!!

The 7th Grade Girls

Yep, we have TWO 7th graders! When we went to the private school last year, the administration and ourselves made the decision to allow Faith to basically repeat 6th grade- putting her in the same class as Aspen. It was PERFECT in so many ways! I have one super young 7th grader (Aspen turns 12 at the end of October) and one who turned 13 in April. Because Faith has intellectual disabilities (I suspect dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, or something, but they weren't able to "label"her like this due to the way her testing went), she will be doing school on her level- whatever that may be. :-)

Math:
Aspen will be using Christian Light Publications, just like her brother. Faith will start the year out using programs like Khan Academy, Xtra Math, IXL Math, and such.

Bible: Same as the whole family

History: I told you keeping the cost down was important, so I found a (very) used student text online of Abeka's History of the World that they both will use. They'll be able to read the text together, answer the questions, and research further if needed.

Reading: Both Aspen and Faith will be encouraged to keep reading books throughout the school year. While some will be of their choice, I am making a list especially for Aspen that include A Day No Pigs Would Die, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Bridge to Terabethia, and Anne of Green Gables. Pinterest has been great looking for grade-level literature. 

Science/Chemistry: Like I shared in Isaiah's school, we will be doing some chemistry work, but in addition to that, the girls will choose a book on different Science topics (utilizing books we have or find at the library), and then write a mini-report/summary. 

Computer: Using the same programs as Isaiah, Aspen will only work on it twice a week, whereas Faith needs extra typing practice so she'll do it three times a week.

P.E. Same as Isaiah- JUST MOVE!!!!

English/Grammar: I found a (very) used student text from Abeka's 7th grade and while I will have to erase it in order for Aspen to use it, I will. It is just another way I could keep the cost down. Faith will be doing Daily Grammar with me.

Spelling: Aspen will be doing the same free spelling program as Isaiah, using the 7th grade spelling list. While Faith will not have formal spelling, we will be working on spelling words throughout the year.

Handwriting: Neither one of them will be using a formal handwriting program, but when they write assignments in their notebooks, or write anything in general for school, they will be graded on it. I expect nice, neat handwriting, at all times. 

4H: They will also participate in 4H once or twice a month.

Life Skills: We work on life skills with all of our kids in general, but this is to particularly help Faith. Our life skills will range from properly applying makeup (an important life skill if you are female!) to what to do in case of emergencies to cooking!

Total cost for 2 7th graders: $70ish. This includes the full year math curriculum for Aspen, the two used books, and notebooks.

The Sophomore

Don't ask me... I'm not sure how we got here. She's a young sophomore having turned 14 in April, but she handles it well.

English II, Biology, and Algebra 1: She took Algebra 1 last year, but we want her to take it again. For these three subjects, she will be using Time4Learning. It is an online based program that we pay monthly and can cancel at anytime. It's new to us, we've never checked it out before, but I'm hoping that it works! It would be wonderful if it did! For these three subjects, it costs $35 a month.

4H, P.E., Bible, Reading: All like I've mentioned earlier.

World History: I bought the student text for Abeka's World History book for $2! Whoop! Whoop!

French: Pronounce it Perfectly in French with the audio CDs is what we have chosen to try. It was her choice to learn French and I definitely want to encourage it. YouTube is also a great source. I spent about $18 for this book.

Home Ec and Music Appreciation: Since we are doing credits, she will also receive credits in these two subjects. Home Ec is pretty given and it what we do every day! She is always baking, doing laundry, sewing something so I feel confident she will have earned that credit for sure. We are also taking a different approach to earning music appreciation, but I'm excited! In short, we will be discussing her favorite songs- learning about the artist- and researching about the song in general!

10th grade cost: I could definitely have done 10th grade cheaper, BUT I am NOT good at Algebra and honestly, 10th grade English/Biology seemed overwhelming to me! If Time4Learning works, we will have spent $350 for a full year of Algebra 1, English II, and Biology. If it doesn't, we can cancel at any time and reconfigure. I like the monthly payment plan. I would say the total year cost: $375ish- including the French book, World History book, and notebook. The beginning cost only cost about $57, though.


What about you? What are you using this year?



Disclaimer: All these opinions are my own and I was not paid to say anything. I was not compensated in any way, shape, or form. The links are not affiliated and are there just for your convenience.







 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...