Thursday, August 10, 2017

$250 for 2 weeks of food for family of 6! Plus THM adaption! Frugal living!


We've been trying to live more frugally lately and while I do not intend to continue a reduced grocery list, it has been nice to shop this way twice. I've LITERALLY cut my monthly grocery expense down from $1000 a month for a family of 6 to $500 a month!

Now, a couple things to note. When I say grocery, I mean anything I would buy at Walmart- toilet paper, shampoo, bandaids, deodorant, whatever.... I live in SE Arkansas and my prices/ability are based upon that. I only shop at Walmart.... because we have no Aldis, Kroger, or Costco around. There are 6 of us... my husband and I.... and the four kids who range in age between 9 1/2 to 14.

Another thing to note.... this grocery list isn't what I consider overly healthy. It could use more fruits and veggies, but part of the problem I run into is that the stores around here do not typically keep a beautiful array of fresh fruits or veggies.... and when I do buy the veggies, they don't last long. Since I drive 45 minutes one way to grocery shop, I HATE having to go EVERY week. Maybe it will give you a start and you can adapt for your family. Oh! One more thing.... we are trying really hard to get better at proper portion control. So one bag of fries vs. two... I did add (in red) what you can do to adapt to THM (Trim Healthy Mama) without increasing your expense much. Some are personal choices, but this is MY list, so take it or leave it. ;-)

1. Hamburgers and fries (Great Value buns, pre-shaped patties *splurge*, and Great Value fries)
Hamburger patty and sauteed frozen veggies
2. Chili dogs (basic- store bought chili, cheese, Bar-S hotdogs, and Great Value buns)
No buns and I am ok with the store bought chili even if it isn't 100% on plan

3. Spaghetti (1lb Great Value pasta, 1 can under $1 sauce, 1lb ground meat, and a loaf of "as close to $1" of french bread from the bakery. BONUS if I can find it in the clearance section!)
Zucchini noodles and no bread- again, I'm good with the sauce, but it's a personal choice
4. Red beans and Rice E meal!
5. Crockpot chicken meal with freezer corn (from summer) and canned carrots (again, Great Value)
Skip the corn and carrots and steam some broccoli *none of my kids eat steamed broccoli and a frozen bag is super cheap*
6. *Eating Out* not counted in my grocery expense
7. Sausages and mac-n-cheese
I LOVE steamed broccoli, so I'll eat sausages and steam/saute' some frozen veggies- probably broccoli

8. Crockpot chicken meal with can corn and frozen (already had in freezer) broccoli
Chicken is easy to make either an E or an S.
9. Pinto beans E meal!
10. Chicken alfredo (1lb Great Value pasta, 2 jar Great Value alfredo sauce, canned chicken, and a loaf of "as close to $1" french bread from the bakery or clearance)
I plan on using the sauce (personal choice) with the chicken to top steamed frozen broccoli. I really do love broccoli, but goodness, if you don't just swap it for whatever veggies you do like.
11. Black beans and rice (topped with salsa for added flavor) E meal!
12. Brisket (from freezer) with a bag of fries and some canned veggies
Definitely an S meal since it's brisket (YUM!), so I'll eat whatever veggies and skip the fries.
13. Hotdogs and chips (Bar-S hotdogs, Great value buns, Great value chips)
Could just eat hotdogs and some veggies, or you could easily and rather cheaply find you a small portion of meat to cook to replace the hotdogs.
14. St. Joseph Pizza (flatbread, pizza sauce, cheese, mini pepperonis)
Happy S meal right here! No adaptions needed!
15. Grilled cheese and chips (Great value bread and chips)
Most likely, I'll sub this meal and scramble me some eggs or if I have leftovers or an extra serving of meat and veggies. I don't mind subbing an entire meal ON OCCASION!!!


While this may not be an exciting grocery menu, it IS pretty cool to have been able to cut my grocery expense in HALF! I'm pretty much looking for the cheapest possible option. Dried beans are cheap. Great Value pasta is cheap. Chicken is cheaper than beef. For my two crockpot chicken meals, I might put salsa in one and I may choose to use seasoning salt in my second meal. Drumsticks are cheaper than boneless breasts. These are all things I look for when shopping.

I admit, lunches are super basic- pizza rolls, frozen pizza that's $1 and easily serves two, sandwiches, pancakes, etc... Breakfasts are similar- a huge bag of cereal is cheaper and lasts longer than two regular size boxes. Oatmeal- even the Great Value instant brand- is fairly cost effective. IF you stick to serving sizes.

And YES, I realize if I did a LOT of baking/prepping I could make things cheaper, but I am not in a place to where I'm doing that again.... not yet.

Grab a big bag of potatoes to help expand your meals.... or a piece of bread. Bananas, a bag of oranges, or apples are great snack foods. Even a big container of applesauce. And ALWAYS shop from your pantry, fridge, or freezer first!

I've learned each family is different with different needs and expectations. No bashing! Whatever works! This is what is helping my family get some things taken care of and nobody feels deprived!

*So this actual list of meals plus whatever else I need only comes to about $200. That leaves me with $50 to replace the brisket if I didn't already have it, to put together a meal for the day we are eating out, and adapt anything.*

What do you do to keep your grocery bill down?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...