Monday, August 14, 2017

Have you been with Jesus?

The ladies' group that I lead has recently started going through the book of Acts. There is SO much good stuff in it- so much we can learn! It's one of my favorite books in the Bible. I'm amazed at how much boldness, filling of the Holy Spirit, encouragement, and living of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) there is!



We've only just started a few weeks ago and when I read through Acts 4 there was one verse that kept jumping out at me.



'The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus." Acts 4:13 (New Living Translation)



The backstory is simple. Peter and John were speaking to a group of people- they were confronted by religious leaders and such- thrown in jail (but not before 5,000 men believed)- and here we are the next morning. Peter and John was before the council being questioned about healing a lame man (Acts 3). There is much dialog, but what stands out is verse 13. These men.... the members of the council were AMAZED AT THE BOLDNESS these two men had because they could tell they had no special training and were men who had been with Jesus.



Wow! Just wow!



When people look at me, do they see someone who has been with Jesus?


Ouch! When I respond with a huff, an eye roll, or shortness in my tone, the answer would be no. When I ignore the Spirit's prompt to reach out to someone, the answer would be no. When I fail to extend love, grace, and mercy, the answer would be no. When I serve at church, but not because I want to, but because I feel obligated, the answer would be no. When I give, but not with a cheerful heart, the answer would be no. When I sit and watch TV and neglect my Bible study time, the answer would be no.



The list could go on and on.



Oh, how I want to be recognized as someone who has been with Jesus. There has to be more of Him and less of me. I have to die to self. Pick up my cross and follow Him. Replace my wants with His.


My heart should break for what breaks His.



Look, we know Peter and John weren't perfect. Peter was the one who denied Christ 3 times before He died. Yet, Peter was the one who Christ said He was going to build His Church on! The fact is that Christ sees SO MUCH in us and that to be recognized as someone who has been with Jesus doesn't require perfection. Jesus is the ONLY one who walked this earth that was perfect. People can see Christ in us, though, in how we act and what we strive for.



Are we striving to grow in Christ? Are we striving to be recognized as someone who has been with Jesus?




Linked up with: The Modest Mom Blog

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...