Monday, February 4, 2013

Why I'm Raising My Family Like I Am

We are different.

We homeschool. 


We are King James Version Bibles only. 

Us girls dress in skirts and dresses only. 

We don't watch a lot of TV and when we do it tends to be oldies, but goodies. I don't remember the last time my kids watched something from The Disney Channel even though we have that channel.

My husband and I are both on our first marriage- to each other- and our kids share our last name- and we have no plans to change that.


We don't trick-or-treat.

We are pro-life.

We will encourage courtship when our children reach that age.

We are very much family oriented, hardly ever leaving the kids with a baby-sitter. Even when the option is there.

We are very careful about the movies we watch and the books we read. Even things that most people consider appropriate are carefully screened to make sure they match what our values are.

My oldest daughter very much wants a Duggar-type swimsuit and I have done nothing to pressure her into that.

We aren't into traditional medicine and I avoid going to the doctor as much as possible (please read that as "we aren't into traditional medicine, but we do utilize it when necessary).

So yeah, we are different. And I have a feeling that as God continues to guide our family and reveals to us things we will change and probably become even more different. 

And I'm okay with that. I'm not here to blend in or to make others feel comfortable with my family's choices.

However, it sometimes does make people uncomfortable. I know we've been the topic of conversation with some of our friends and family. There are some who think we are making a mistake by being this "different".

Maybe we are.

Maybe we aren't.

As a parent, I can only do the best I can and I know I will make mistakes. I also know that the biggest mistake I can make is by doing something contrary to what I feel God wants us to do.

 I could defend our decisions.... ones that are clearly pointed out in Scripture, others that are laid on our hearts by the Holy Spirit. But I won't. I won't get into the whys, although if you ask me I will answer.

However, these verses are what grabs us and draws us in.... draws us to being different.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transfored by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2 KJV

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8

Yes, I have specific reasons why we do or don't do everything I listed above. And in short, it IS because we feel that it is what God wants us to do.

So yes, I am raising my kids to be different. But now you know why!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...